Dimensions Healthcare System was formed in 1982 as an integrated, not-for-profit healthcare system serving the citizens of Prince George’s County and the surrounding area. Dimensions’ mission is to provide high quality, accessible health care services in partnership with our community.
Today, Dimensions is the largest provider of health care services in Prince George’s County, Maryland, caring for about 180,000 patients every year. With 24-hour emergency care at Bowie Health Center, Laurel Regional Hospital and Prince George’s Hospital Center, Dimensions is also the largest provider of emergency and trauma services in the area.
In 2010, consumer rating service, HealthGrades, recognized Prince George’s Hospital Center as being among the top 5% of hospitals across the nation for successful outcomes.
- Prince George’s Hospital Center was among the first in Maryland to be designated a Cardiac Intervention Center for heart attack victims.
- Laurel Regional Hospital is home to a growing newborn service, new vascular catheterization laboratory, technologically-advanced wound care & hyperbaric medicine center, a new and improved sleep wellness center and a new specialty care unit.
In 2011, both Prince George’s Hospital Center and Laurel Regional Hospital were ranked among U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals in the Washington DC Metropolitan area.
- Not-for-profit integrated health system
- Three member institutions leased from Prince George’s County, plus several affiliates
- Composed of six affiliate facilities
- Largest provider of healthcare services in Prince George’s County serving approximately 180,000 patients annually
- Chairman, Board of Directors – Judge C. Philip Nichols, Jr.
- President and Chief Executive Officer – Neil J. Moore
- 2,400 Full Time Equivalent Employees
- Approximately 2/3 represented by SEIU
- One of the largest employers in Prince George’s County
Prince George’s Hospital Center
Prince George’s Hospital Center (PGHC) was founded in 1944 and is an acute care teaching hospital and regional referral center located in Cheverly, Maryland. With approximately 50% of patients who are either uninsured or covered by Medicaid, PGHC is a vital safety-net hospital.
Key services include:
- Ambulatory and outpatient services
- Behavioral Health Services (including inpatient psychiatric unit for adults; partial hospitalization; and 24-hour hospital-based sexual assault center)
- Cardiac Care Services (comprehensive cardiac care including cardiac surgery and therapeutic catheterization)
- Critical Care Services (24-bed Intensive Care Unit)
- Diabetes Center (inpatient and outpatient services provided)
- Emergency and Trauma Services (designated regional trauma center for southern Maryland; 2nd busiest Trauma Center in Maryland; medical direction provided through UMMS)
- Graduate Medical Education (internal medicine residency program and excellent clinical opportunities for expansion with Academic Medical Center)
- Medical and Surgical Services (virtually all adult specialties performed)
- Maternal and Child Health (including Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Perinatal Diagnostic Center, prenatal care services through the County Health Department site; and lease of space to Mt. Washington Pediatrics for developmental and chronic pediatric care)
Rachel H. Pemberton Senior Health Center
Dimensions Healthcare System also operates the Rachel H. Pemberton Senior Health Center in Brentwood. The Senior Health Center, under the medical direction of a board-certified family practice and geriatric medicine physician, provides primary and continuing comprehensive medical and nursing services.
Laurel Regional Hospital
Laurel Regional Hospital (LRH) is a full-service community hospital serving northern Prince George’s County and Montgomery, Howard, and Anne Arundel counties. LRH provides a comprehensive range of inpatient and outpatient services including:
- Behavioral Health Services (including inpatient psychiatric unit for adults and outpatient partial hospitalization program)
- Cardiac Catheterization (diagnostic peripheral vascular studies, cardioversions, TEE’s, pacemaker insertions)
- Cardiopulmonary Services (Echo, EKG, Stress tests, EEG, PFT)
- Critical Care Services (includes coronary care and 10-bed intensive care unit)
- Diabetes Services (inpatient and outpatient services provided)
- Emergency Services (24-hour emergency care provided by skilled physicians and nursing professionals)
- Medical / Surgical Services (virtually all adult specialties performed)
- Physical Rehabilitation (only hospital-based accredited inpatient rehabilitation unit in the County)
- Sleep Wellness Center (offers a comprehensive approach to treating sleep disorders in new, private sleep suites)
- Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine Center (93 percent healing rate, awarded Center of Distinction award in 2009 and 2010)
Gladys Spellman Specialty Care Unit
Gladys Spellman Specialty Care Unit (GSSCU) is a 46-bed chronic care specialty unit providing comprehensive nursing care in a full-service hospital environment. The specialty care unit also offers chronic care for ventilator dependent patients with medically complex conditions. GSSCU is located within Laurel Regional Hospital.
Bowie Health Campus
The Bowie Health Campus is a unique 50-acre property providing for the health care needs of all ages, from newborns to the elderly.
Its comprehensive facilities include:
- Bowie Health Center is a freestanding emergency medical facility providing 24-hour emergency care services to approximately 40,000 patients from eastern Prince George’s and western Anne Arundel counties
- Dimensions Surgery Center (located in a 50,000 square foot Medical Office Building)
- Emeritus at Woodward Estates (assisted living senior community)
- Mullikin Medical Center (physician practices and specialties from allergy to urology, Bowie Pharmacy)
- Larkin Chase Care and Rehabilitation Center (a 120-bed long term care facility that is a joint venture partnership between SunBridge Health and Dimensions)