The Gladys Spellman Specialty Care Unit at Laurel Regional Hospital is the only specialty care program in the area within a major acute care hospital providing 24-hour physician coverage and pulmonologist-directed recovery of patients. The Gladys Spellman Specialty Care Unit offers immediate onsite respiratory care, laboratory and radiology services, access to onsite dialysis, critical care and emergency care services.
Our new facility is housed within Laurel Regional Hospital at its beautiful 50-acre campus which is conveniently located in the heart of the Baltimore-Washington corridor. Laurel Regional Hospital is easily accessible from I-95, Route 198, the BW Parkway and Route 1.
The Gladys Spellman Specialty Care program offers comprehensive care for adults with health care needs requiring more professional intervention than can be provided in a subacute, skilled, or nursing home setting. Most patients require complex care related to specialized wound care, airway management, ventilator support, tracheostomy care, nutritional support and/or dysphagia management, TPN, and gastrostomy feeding. Our program devotes the resources and staff to meet all of our patient’s needs, and to lead them in the recuperation process.
We understand the delicate balance of medical and rehabilitation services that continuing care demands. We know the unique challenges involved in the complex treatment of our patients and how to elevate them to a higher level of independence.
The mission of the Specialty Care Team is to achieve the best quality of life possible for patients by:
- Collaborating with the primary care physician and pulmonologist
- Positively influencing the course of chronic disease through treatment and patient/family education
- Providing assistance with making difficult end of life decisions
- Assisting in alleviating psychosocial, emotional and spiritual suffering
The Gladys Spellman Specialty Care Unit consists of a 46-bed unit located on the 4th floor of the hospital with a combination of private and semi-private rooms.
The Gladys Spellman Specialty Care Program offers a full range of nursing, diagnostic and treatment services, including:
- Respiratory care program (specializing in aggressive ventilator weaning and decannulation)
- Pain management program
- Progressive wound care program
- Intravenous therapy program (TPN and Transfusions)
- Diaylsis services at bedside
- Infectious disease management
- Speech language pathology
- Physical and Occupational therapy
- Case management and Social services
Patients will be assessed and provided with treatment and care by an interdisciplinary team. After determining the specific needs, each patient will be assigned a primary nurse to coordinate the plan of care with all disciplines.
For more information about the Gladys Spellman Specialty Care Unit or to schedule a tour call, please call 301-362-2049.